Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Summer Salads


This time of year brings about an abundance of tomatoes in my garden. Thankfully, most of my family and myself love tomatoes. One of my favorite things to do with tomatoes came from my trip to Greece in 2006. We consumed Greek salad daily, maybe even twice a day, and I loved it! It is the most refreshing salad on a hot summer day. My recipe is simple...I don't even measure! Equal parts quartered tomatoes and sliced cucumber. A nice collection of red onion (depending on how much you like onion), Kalamata olives, a sprinkle of capers, a drizzle of olive oil and red wine vinegar, goat or sheep's milk feta on top (a must - cow's milk feta tastes bad!) and a sprinkle of oregano (preferable fresh, but dried is just as good) I also like to sprinkle a little kosher salt and freshly ground pepper on mine. If I had to, I could live on this!


What type of foods do you crave when the heat turns up?

No comments: